50 Powerful Learning English Quotes
Author: Nicole Sage
Author: Nicole Sage
Learning English is a rewarding and transformative journey that opens doors to new opportunities and connects people from all walks of life.
But learning any language often does not follow a linear journey, and that’s part of the process. To stay motivated we’ve compiled 50 of the most powerful learning English quotes to help inspire and motivate young language learners.
These quotes from renowned authors, linguists, and influential figures remind us of the beauty, challenges, and importance of mastering the English language.
50 Powerful Learning English Quotes
1.”The limits of my language mean the limits of my world.” – Ludwig Wittgenstein
2.”Language is the road map of a culture. It tells you where its people come from and where they are going.” – Rita Mae Brown
3.”Learning another language is not only learning different words for the same things but learning another way to think about things.” – Flora Lewis
4.”Language is the blood of the soul into which thoughts run and out of which they grow.” – Oliver Wendell Holmes
5.”To have another language is to possess a second soul.” – Charlemagne
6. “Language is the dress of thought.” – Samuel Johnson
7. “The more languages you know, the more you are human.” – Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk
8. “Language shapes the way we think, and determines what we can think about.” – Benjamin Lee Whorf
9. “Learning another language is like becoming another person.” – Haruki Murakami
10. “Language is power, life, and the instrument of culture, the instrument of domination and liberation.” – Angela Carter
11. “Language is the light of the mind.” – John Stuart Mill
12. “Language is the only thing worth knowing even poorly.” – Katō Lomb
13. “Language is the most massive and inclusive art we know, a mountainous and anonymous work of unconscious generations.” – Edward Sapir
14. “A different language is a different vision of life.” – Federico Fellini
15. “Language is the foundation of civilization. It is a glue that holds people together, and it is the first weapon drawn in a conflict.” – S. L.A. Marshall
16. “The best way to learn a language is to live where it’s spoken.” – Albert Camus
17. “Language is not a genetic gift, it is a social gift. Learning a new language is becoming a member of the club – the community of speakers of that language.” – Frank Smith
18. “The limits of your language are the limits of your world.” – Arthur Schopenhauer
19. “Language is power, in ways more literal than most people think. When we speak, we exercise the power of language to transform reality.” – Julie Sedivy
20. “You can never understand one language until you understand at least two.” – Geoffrey Willans
Meridian English - more than just English lessons.
21. “Language is the key to the heart of people.” – Ahmed Deedat
22. “The study of a foreign language is an intellectual adventure of the highest order.” – Christopher Hitchens
23. “Language is a city to the building of which every human being brought a stone.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
24. “Learn a language, and you will avoid a war.” – Arab proverb
25. “Language is the most important thing we have as human beings.” – Oscar Arias
26. “Learning languages is the door to wisdom.” – Roger Bacon
27. “Language is the mirror of our minds.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
28. “Language is the armory of the human mind, and at once contains the trophies of its past and the weapons of its future conquests.” – Samuel Taylor Coleridge
29. “Language is the means of getting an idea from my brain into yours without surgery.” – Mark Amidon
30. “Language is the soul of intellect, and reading is the essential process by which that intellect is cultivated.” – Joseph Brodsky
31. “Language is a more recent technology. Your body language, your eyes, your energy will come through to your audience before you even start speaking.” – Peter Guber
32. “Language is the source of misunderstandings.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
33. “Language is the blood of the soul into which thoughts run and out of which they grow.” – Oliver Wendell Holmes
34. “Do you know what a foreign accent is? It’s a sign of bravery.” – Amy Chua
35. “There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning.” – Jiddu Krishnamurti
36. “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” – C.S.Lewis
37. “It doesn’t matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” – Confucius
38. “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” – Gandhi
39. Our language is funny – a ‘fat chance’ and a ‘slim chance’ are the same thing. — J. Gustav White.
40. What is the shortest word in the English language that contains the letters: abcdef? Answer: feedback. Don’t forget that feedback is one of the essential elements of good communication. — Author Unknown.
41. “If you can dream it, you can do it.” – Walt Disney
42. “Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” – Samuel Beckett
43. “Learning is like rowing upstream, not to advance is to drop back.” – Chinese Proverb
44. “One language sets you in a corridor for life. Two languages open every door along the way” – Frank Smith
45. “Learning is not a spectator sport” – D. Blocher
46. “Language is ‘the infinite use of finite means’” – Wilhelm von Humboldt
47. “If you know many languages then you have many keys for a castle” ― François-Marie Arouet
48. “I love commuting between languages just like I love commuting between cultures and cities” – Elif Safak
49. “We now accept the fact that learning is a lifelong process of keeping abreast of change. And the most pressing task is to teach people how to learn.” — Peter Drucker
50. “Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it.” — Albert Einstein
These 50 powerful quotes emphasise the value and significance of learning the English language.
Whether you are a language enthusiast, a young learner, or a professional, let these quotes inspire and motivate you on your English language learning journey.
Remember, mastering a new language is not just about acquiring words and grammar, but also about discovering new perspectives and connecting with people all around the world, just one of the things that we offer through our mixed nationality classes at Meridian English.
Looking to take your young learners’ English language to the next level? Our online English classes for children aged 5-15 will take them from beginner to confident English speaker in a supportive group setting, book your course today.