- Log in
- Student Info
- English Courses
- About us
- Contact us
- Booking Request
Teaching Skills for Teachers
A practical approach to methodology and techniques
to use in the classroom
It is aimed at teachers in primary and secondary education, who are required to teach their subjects in English. The course focuses on enhancing and improving the participants' language and teaching skills, while also presenting an opportunity to observe how the British school curriculum is taught. In addition, participants will be exposed to British culture while staying in an English host family. The teaching element concentrates on specific classroom language usage, management, teaching and learning styles and general English.
- There are 1 and 2 week courses available (Monday – Friday) - Arrivals/Departures are at weekend
- These programmes are also eligible for EU funding through Comenius
- Applications should be made minimum one month before the course starting date
- The maximum group / class size is 8 and the minimum 3
- The minimum language level required is Intermediate/B1
17 September 2013 (courses starting 01 January 2014 – 30 April 2014)
2013 course dates:
September 9-13 (one week) and 9-20 (two weeks) Plymouth
September 23-27 (one week) and Sep 23 - Oct 4 (two weeks) Portsmouth
October 7-11 (one week) and 7-18 (two weeks) Plymouth
October 28 - Nov 1 (one week) and Oct 28 - Nov 8 (two weeks) Portsmouth
November 11-15 (one week) and 11-22 (two weeks) Plymouth
2014 course dates:
January 27-31 (one week) and Jan 27 - Feb 07 (two weeks) Plymouth
March 24-28 (one week) and Mar 24 - Apr 04 (two weeks) Portsmouth
June 16-20 (one week) and 16-27 (two weeks) Plymouth
July 21-25 (one week) and Jul 21 - Aug 01 (two weeks) Portsmouth
September 22-26 (one week) and Sep 22 - Oct 03 (two weeks) Plymouth
October 27-31 (one week) Portsmouth
The course includes:
- Enrollment fee
- Training and workshops
- Course materials
- Free internet use
- Orientation tour of Plymouth or Portsmouth
The price does not include local bus pass, cultural programme, airport transfer or accommodation (For other types of accommodation, please contact us).
Teachers from the European Union, Switzerland, Norway, Croatia, FYR Macedonia, Turkey and Iceland applying for this course at Meridian Plymouth English Centre, are eligible for EU Lifelong Learning funding.
This programme is also eligible for EU funding through COMENIUS.
Who can apply?
We are providing In-Service Training for school education staff - teachers and trainers.
Primary, secondary and vocational schools.
How to apply?
You can apply directly to your national agency within Lifelong Learning Programme within Grundtvig. Click here to find your national agency website.
Essential Preparation for the Course
Course participants are kindly asked to write a 250-word essay (minimum), in which they describe the following:
- Their most memorable learning experiences, both positive and negative
These tasks, which will be kept anonymous, will lay the foundation for the first methodology workshop. Prior to the course, we will send each confirmed participant an electronic questionnaire to ascertain their needs, so that we can adjust the course accordingly. Participants will be continuously evaluated and adjustments made in response to the evaluations.
Wherever possible, the participants are divided into multi-national groups so that they can practice their English communication skills. An important part of the course is based on workshops, focusing on various aspects of teaching and learning styles, introducing the various techniques in use, the challenges involved and their solutions through discussion, role play, team work and assignments. The methodology, along with the techniques used, aim to search and improve ways in which students at home can be supported to benefit from their lesson as much as possible.
- Improvement of language skills
- Boosting confidence in teaching subjects in English
- Revision / introduction of transferable teaching techniques, e.g. multiple intelligences, editing and structuring reading texts, reinforcement and different approaches to teaching.
- Gaining insights into British culture
- Encouragement of sharing best practices, ideas and materials between colleagues within the EU
- Acquisition of practical language to be used in the classroom
- Heightened awareness of different classroom techniques
- Acquisition of new techniques, ideas, sources of materials and new contacts
- Enhanced personal language skills
- Boosted confidence in teaching other subjects in English
- New insights into British culture
Feedback and Follow up:
Towards the end of the course, each participant will be provided with a private session with the tutor(s), so that feedback can be obtained and advice for further development given. Also, each participant will receive a certificate at the end of the course.
Airport transfer: We can assist with airport transfer.
For all your registration enquiries, please contact Product Manager Lenka Stracinova email@example.com or call +44 845 673 3 007